Free Fishing Days
During Free Fishing Days/Weekends, anyone can fish the fresh waters of New York State and no fishing license is required! Angle away at any of the state's 7,500 lakes and ponds or in our 70,000 miles of rivers and streams. There are plenty of places to try freshwater fishing in New York!
Here's a list of Dutchess County Lakes and Ponds: Iron Mine Pond, Morgan Lake, Rudd Pond, Stissing Pond, Sylvan Lake, Upton Lake, and Wappinger Lake.
All other freshwater fishing regulations still apply.
Upcoming Free Fishing Dates
- September 23, 2017, National Hunting and Fishing Day
- November 11, 2017, Veterans Day
- February 17-18, 2018
- June 23-24, 2018 Free Fishing Weekend
Ideas for Free Fishing Days
- Try fishing for the first time.
- Haven't fished in a while? Remember the joy of catching a fish again for free!
- Become an ambassador to the sport; take a friend fishing for the first time.
- Invite a friend to New York to fish.
- Take a spouse or significant other fishing.
- Taking your child fishing
- Take the family fishing...and don't forget the grandparents!
The I FISH NY Program's primary goal is to increase fishing participation and awareness of the outstanding fishing opportunities in New York State. The fishing education side of the program introduces people to the sport of angling through a variety of different approaches.
The I FISH NY Beginners' Guide to Freshwater Fishing is a PDF publication that will help you become a better and more knowledgeable angler.
Where to fish in Lakes and Ponds and Rivers and Streams: EVERYONE is permitted to fish for free without a fishing license on those selected dates above, so find your freshwater spot and give it a try! You might be hooked for life!
Ordinarily, you need a fishing license if you are 16 years and older and fishing for:
- Freshwater fish species by angling, spearing, hooking, longbow, and tip-ups.
- Frog species by spearing, catching with the hands or by use of a club or hook.
- Freshwater baitfish for personal use. How to fish responsibly
You may qualify for a free/reduced fee!