Economic Impact of Tourism Continues to Soar: Visitor Spending in Dutchess Up 26% Over Last 5 Years
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, recently announced the 2018 New York State tourism figures, which established new records for total number of visitors, economic impact and direct spending. The report, conducted by Tourism Economics - an Oxford Economics Company, revealed that tourism spending in Dutchess County increased 6.8% over 2017 to more than $642.2 million. This is the ninth consecutive year spending has increased and marks a 26% increase since 2014.
More than 4.75 million people are estimated to visit the county annually. In addition to spending over half a billion dollars on lodging, dining, shopping, area attractions and transportation, tourism generated $44.7 million in local taxes and $35 million for New York State. According to the report, were it not for tourism-generated state and local taxes, the average household in Dutchess County would have to pay an additional $743 to maintain the same level of government revenue.
Tourism supports 11,024 jobs within Dutchess and registers as the state’s third largest industry. Wages in this sector also continued to grow showing an 8% increase over 2017.
- 2020 Dutchess Tourism Destination Guide Kick-Off: Join Luminary Media and Dutchess Tourism, Inc. at our annual tourism networking event for Dutchess County businesses on Oct. 23 at 6:00 P.M. at Heritage Food & Drink. Register
- Partners Needed: Dutchess Tourism attends a variety of consumer trade shows each year, and we’re looking for partners to join us in 2020. These are great outreach opportunities for your business. Contact Susanne
- Holiday Overnight Packages: Share your holiday packages that include overnight accommodations and are paired with experiences, dinners, etc! Looking for info starting with Thanksgiving and continuing through the end of the year. Contact Susanne
- Call for Recipes: We’re looking to share seasonal recipes using local ingredients on our website and social platforms. Open to farms, food and beverage producers and chefs, share an original recipe and a photo with us. Contact Us
- Congratulations Mary Kay! A big congratulations to our fearless leader, President and CEO, Mary Kay Vrba for 25 YEARS with Dutchess Tourism! We celebrate her and thank her for all the incredible work she has done to continue to drive tourism in Dutchess!
- Dutchess in the News: As a result of Dutchess Tourism’s ongoing PR efforts, Dutchess County was included in TripSavvy’s round-up of New York Fall Foliage Driving Tours. Read Article
Announcing our New Town Webpages
We’ve implemented something new on our website to give visitors another way to find what they’re looking for. From the home page under the header image, visitors can select a town in Dutchess County and it will bring them to the landing page: “All there is to experience in Fishkill" (for example). Here they’ll find Things to Do, Places to Eat, Where to Stay and Events in that town. Try It Out
A Message from Mary Kay Vrba, President and CEO of Dutchess Tourism, Inc.
November 4 - 17, 2019 is Hudson Valley Restaurant Week. Offered each Spring and Fall and produced by The Valley Table magazine, it is the largest and most successful dining event in the region. Dutchess Tourism, Inc. is proud to be a sponsor of the event.
This is a great opportunity to support local restauranteurs in the region and try new dining experiences so you can recommend them to tourists. For more information, click here.
– Mary Kay Vrba • email@example.com